We hope facing this refusal isn’t something you experience when using Petco Love Lost, but should it happen, we want you to have every resource available.
When connecting with someone who’s found your animal, please take the following steps to ensure the process goes without a hitch:
- Log in to your Petco Love Lost account and chat through the platform (or connect via another platform if you choose)
- Introduce yourself as the pet’s owner
- Thank them for keeping your pet safe
- Ask where they would like to meet you to arrange transfer
If for some reason they are hesitant to meet, consider meeting in a neutral area, e.g., a local veterinarian's office, police station, local Petco, etc. If they’re still uncomfortable meeting you directly, you can advise them to take the found pet to a local animal shelter or to animal control where you can reclaim the pet directly without the finder.
If the finder initially communicated with you but has become unresponsive, here are some actions you can take to bring your pet home:
- Connect with us directly by clicking HERE, and we can attempt to connect with the finder on your behalf to try to facilitate a reunion.
- Contact your local animal control department: they don’t have the power to intervene/arrest or charge someone with stolen property, but they can provide additional tips and advice. If they are willing to provide a written report of your conversation, you can use this documentation if further action is needed.
- Connect with law enforcement to file a stolen property report and request additional tips/advice
- If none of the above works, consider contacting a lawyer, who can write and send a letter to the finder explaining this matter will be taken to civil court if they do not comply.
Remember, your pet is microchipped and registered to you, that is legal proof of ownership of the animal. You can explain this to the finder and mention that if you do not hear back from them, your next step is to contact law enforcement.
Please know we are here as a resource* and will do everything we can to help bring your pet home.
*In using Petco Love Lost you have accepted our terms and conditions, which state Petco Love is not liable for negative outcomes or lack of reunification.
Please sign in to leave a comment.